Check Distribution Code "P"
For All Check Pick Up In Person
(either by the payee or by university personnel)
All documents with a check distribution code of "P" must be approved by the appropriate processing office in Payment Services or Accounting and Financial Management-Independent Contractors prior to final approval of the voucher payment document (VPM) in *DEFINE. The purpose of this method of check distribution will allow the vendor-payee and/or a University employee to physically pick up the check. However, recognizing the inherent risk associated with this method of check distribution, the following procedures have been established to safeguard The University from possible fraud and misappropriation of funds. It is important to keep in mind that more stringent procedures, including advanced written approval, apply when someone other than the payee listed on the check is requesting authorization to pick up the check.
The department making the payment must determine who will pick up the check when the check is issued. The person picking up the check is either:
PAYEE WILL PICK UP CHECK:
APPROVAL and GENERAL PROCEDURES
University Personnel may not pick up checks on behalf of a payee (individual or vendor) unless approved in writing. See Third Party Check Pick-Up Procedures below for further information.
If the payee will be picking up the check in person, then no written memo is required. However, the *DEFINE payment voucher document must include the information listed below prior to final approval.
Note: These requirements only apply to vouchers using code "P" for distribution.
- The Comments area of Section #1 of the *DEFINE payment voucher document (VPM) must state the words:
"PAYEE will pick up" or "DEPARTMENT will pick up" to distinguish whether the check will be picked up by either the payee (individual or vendor) or by a University Department (employee) representative in lieu of the payee.
- The Comments area of Section #1 of the *DEFINE payment voucher document (VPM) should also state the name and phone number of the person who needs to be notified once the check is ready for pick up.
All checks issued with the Check Distribution Code "P" may be picked up from
Accounting and Financial Management, Main Building, room 132.
THIRD PARTY WILL PICK UP CHECK:
APPROVAL and GENERAL PROCEDURES
The procedures stated below apply when a department is requesting authorization to pick up a check. They do not apply when the payee (vendor or individual) picks up the check.
University personnel may not pick up checks for vendors unless all the steps listed below are complete. The following procedures have been established to ensure checks are issued in a timely manner and to help safeguard University funds against possible fraud or loss.Please note that requesting check pickup greatly increases the cost of processing a payment and should only be used when absolutely necessary.
- When processing the *DEFINE payment voucher document (VPM), the Comments field in Section 1 must include:
- "PAYEE will pick up" or "DEPARTMENT will pick up" to indicate that the check will be picked up by a University department (employee) representative.
- The name and phone number of the person to be notified when the check is ready for pick up.
- When a department requests authorization for a University employee to pick up the check on behalf of the vendor (payee), a written memo containing all the elements listed below must be attached to the payment voucher support documentation and submitted to Accounting and Financial Management Document Processing – K6000.
- signature from a unit head or director who is authorized to sign for the account used for payment, a University Business Officers Council (UBOC) member, an associate/assistant director in the department, or a person of higher authorization from the account that the payment will be made on;
- note stating “Attention: Assistant Director of Payment Services;”
- business reason stating why the check must be picked up by departmental personnel;
- name and phone number of the person who should be contacted when the check is ready for pick up;
- payment voucher document ID; and
- the name of the vendor (payee).
Once the request has been approved by the department and all the necessary supporting documentation received by Payment Services or Accounting and Financial Management-Independent Contractors, the payment voucher will process normally.
All checks issued with the Check Distribution Code "P" may be picked up from Accounting and Financial Management, Main Building (MAI), room 134. Phone: 512-471-3723.
Note: The Office of the Vice President and Chief Financial Officer will perform and document quarterly reviews of check pickup activity.
VPM QUICK REFERENCE GUIDE
|Which Voucher Form ?|
|VP1 / VP2||VP1/VP2 non-employee independent contractor payments||VP3||VP5||VPE|
|Check Total Amount||Less than $1000||Greater than $1000||All||All||All||All|
|Who is the Processing Office?||Department||Accounts Payable||Independent Contractor Desk||Accounts Payable||Travel Desk||Accounts Payable|
|Where do we send the paperwork/VTF?||K-6000
|Is a VTF Required?||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||No||No|
|Is a written Memo Required for Check Pick Up ?|
|The Payee will pick up check||No||No||No||No||No||No|
|Third Party (someone other than Payee) will pick up check||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
Partial List of Check Distribution Codes
- Check Distribution code will default to "U" on voucher documents for regular US mail distribution.
- Check Distribution Code "T" is reserved for checks which require additional paperwork/documentation to be sent along with the check to the payee.
- Check Distribution Code "P" is reserved for checks which are issued to a payee but for whom the physical check will be picked up from the Main Building, Room 132 in person.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Why do I need the "written request"?
In the spring of 1994 The University adopted the policy of not releasing checks to departmental offices except in unusual and justifiable cases. The policy was adopted in response to cases where funds were misappropriated and is designed to help safeguard University funds. The written request documents the conditions requiring that departmental personnel pick up the check and ensures compliance with University policy.
To whom do I send the "written request"?
Cynthia A Gregg, Assistant Director of Payment Services
Where do I send the "written request"?
The request needs to be attached to the Voucher Transmittal Form (VTF) or voucher documentation appropriate for the specific *DEFINE document form. This documentation is mailed to the appropriate processing office. See VPM chart for list of where to mail the written request and voucher documentation.
Is check pick-up for Vendor Payee checks only, or does "P" code also work for checks issued to individuals where someone other than the payee will be picking up the check?
"P" indicates that the check will be picked up by the Payee or a department representative.
When can someone pick up the check? The request should be attached to the VTF and mailed with all other supporting documentation. After the electronic document has final approval and the check has been issued/printed, the department will be notified when the check is available for pickup Normal office hours for check pick up is 8:00am to 5:00pm Monday through Friday except on University holidays.
Additional detailed information regarding the Voucher Transmittal Form and where to send your paperwork for processing voucher payment documents (VPM) in *DEFINE is available from the Accounts Payable web page.
Additional important information regarding the general procedures for voucher preparation is available from the Accounts Payable web page.
General information regarding the Post Payment Audit guidelines and the Prompt Payment Act can also be found from the Accounts Payable web page.
Payment Services Links
Payment Voucher Documentation Instructions
Scholarship and Fellowship Services
Single Use Virtual Card Program
Vendor Identification (VID) Section